Thursday, July 10, 2008

Masak-Masak: Caramel Flan/Pudding/Whatever You'd Like to Call It

Puan-puan, cik-cik, hari ini kita belajar masak FLAN ya?

Ah, apa itu flan?


Ini la dia, flan...wa, nampak BEST kan? Uuu sedap~


Anyways, back to reality.

Being so obsessed with this lovely dessert, my aunt surprised me by asking whether we were to try making it for the first time.

But hey, if my bentos turned out well, this should be a piece of cake...or pudding, right?


INGREDIENTS!

4 eggs, heaps of sugar, evaporated milk, and condensed milk. I forgot the amount for everything, but Google is always there to help.

We were supposed to also use vanilla essence and normal milk, but YAY we love to EXPERIMENT!


STEPS!

Firstly, preheat the oven at 175 degrees. My aunt conveniently forgot this step initially. See how helpful I can be?



Then, make the caramel with the sugar with a LITTLE bit of water. My aunt added heaps on the first trial and the water evaporated leaving us with normal sugar again.



Stir as it melts, AND DON'T STOP. KEEP STIRRING.



It magically turns brown! Oolala, magnifico!



Quickly turn off the heat, and let it cool while ATTEMPTING to even up the caramel on the base (which we failed horribly. But I guess evening it out isn't very important, since it LOOKED evened out in the end. And I think she should not have buttered the base, so I'll not at it to the steps :p)

At this point, my aunt and I laughed, reassuring ourselves this will TURN OUT WELL.

So we continued: add the eggs, evaporated milk and condensed milk (and supposedly, vanilla essence and milk) into the blender and WOOOOOOSH!



If you prefer, you may stick to the traditional way of stirring. My aunt and I just appreciate technology. :p



After it's all blended, pour the mixture in the 'caramel coated' pan and stick'em in the oven for 175 degrees for an hour or so.

As time passed by, the aroma was so tempting, yet the looks of things were pretty unconvincing.

As the oven dings, we took the pudding out.


...OH MY GOD.

Was a mutated fried egg thing suppose to appear before our eyes!? We just hoped judging the book by its cover would apply OH SO WELL now.



(We learned this from Google!) When you think it's done (...we just hope it looked done), stick a knife into the pudding to determine the...pudding-ness of the pudding.

And then, refrigerate the sucker for some time. So I went home.


..THE NERVE, THE SUSPENSE WAS KILLING ME AND MY AUNT HAD TO CUT THE PUDDING BEFORE I TOOK A PHOTO OF IT AN HOUR LATER :(

So, here's what I got.



It didn't look as bad, but not as what we expected.

The taste?






REVOLTING.



No la, joking only. It tasted ESPECIALLY SWEET, thanks to the thick caramel and there was a strong smell of condensed milk. The texture was NOTHING like pudding, but I guess a failure now just improves one, eh? :p



VERDICT: Edible with no stomach-aches after.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AUNTY!!!! I WANT!!!!!!!!

Ino said...

[eevon]

:p No more!