Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Living to Eat: Specials of Penang @ The State

The irony of eating out on Father's Day with your father absent :p But this meant we could somehow choose our dinner venue freely.



Mum suggested this place, since the duck rice shop next door always has booming business on Sundays (which equals to long time finding for a place to sit) and we've never been to the restaurant before. Plus, it's SPECIALS OF PENANG. Must be very ho chiak, right?



Specials of Penang was also the same restaurant that catered my breakfast for my Singapore trip too. As it did taste pretty good, it's probably a nice place to dine.



Mum got herself the
mee rebus (boiled noodles? Gah, I'm beginning to deteriorate in my Malay Language). She commented that it was n't spicy at all, but tasted fine. She prefers the ones in Penang though (I guess everyone who tasted Penang food would say that. Tissy must be very happy now :p).

My sister ordered the nasi lemak (fat rice, LOL.) with fried chicken.



The chicken looked horribly dry, and my sister said it tasted as bad too. I guess the kapitan's better.

As for me, Penang's famous assam laksa.
(sour, spicy noodle soup with fish? I guess.)

During my entire Malaysian life, I've only had two bowls of my own 'assam laksa'. My very first bowl on my birthday this year even. I'm so not Malaysian-lah.


Due to *cough* lack of experience, I don't know if it tasted good or not. But it tasted DAMN spicy. Seriously, the more I ate the spicier it got. The fish was a little tough; not very appetizing.

My mum who finished the remaining laksa said it's not as good as Penang (and somehow I knew she was going to say that, but oh well.)

We had some Penang rojak (fruit and vegetable salad mix thingy) after, which was okay (photo not taken. It looks like ordinary rojak la) The pineapples were really sweet, but the cucumbers were horrible. Oh well, you can't have too much of a good thing.

For dessert, mum got herself leng chee kang (which I don't know how to translate, and didn't take a photo of. Sue me.) and said it tasted horrible. She who rarely wastes food didn't finish her bowl.

My sis and I ordered monsters.



This is a Milo Mountain. It's basically really sweet Milo flavoured ice topped with really sweet vanilla ice cream sprinkled generously with really sweet Milo powder.

From my description, it's obviously not a dish for the diabetic. Or hyperactive (like me! :p), but I enjoyed it. Very sinfully, though. With my tongue doing 360s. You get the picture.

Bottomline, this place wasn't what we expected, but the food's still not too bad in a way. Service was really good (they even take notice to serve our desserts after finishing our food!) and food's considered quite cheap (everything altogether was less than RM45; the Milo Mountains were RM5.90 each though. Bleh). The place gets pretty packed too, and things get unavailable later, so it's best to visit this joint earlier.

Verdict: C+

1 comment:

~may~ said...

haha....next time the asam laksa can add more 'ha kou' to make it sweeter...
then it wont b that spicy i guess...

n u ate asam laksa twice oni???
haha...nvrmind...at least u try b4 =P