Sunday, June 22, 2008

Living to Eat: Vietnam Kitchen @ Jaya 33

Chào bạn, minna-san!

(I had to look it up. :p And yes,. minna-san is Japanese.)

My family had Vietnamese for dinner, which was a delightful surprise. Dad usually takes us to places he's more familiar with (in other words, places we get bored with all the time).



This was the second time we've visited the place at Jaya 33, a place recently built as the legendary blue Jaya shopping complex undergoes renovation (which has not started demolishing work even. Sigh, politics, politics).

I ordered the Combination Platter again, which I first sampled in Adelaide, Australia (where I dined many things NOT Australian except for the grilled kangaroo and crocodile, YUMYUM!) It's a big plate of everything you can imagine under the sun.


Well, maybe not EVERYTHING, but hey, there are the usual cucumber, rice noodles, beansprouts, and meat, along with mint, lettuce and starfruit; all which you put on your rice paper to roll up and scoff like popiah. It's an interesting dish which I find is tasty and different for every bite. It's a dish to be shared though, so don't decide on this to go with a dinner solo unless you've been starving like hell.

For appetizers were the Mango Prawn Rolls.



WHICH WERE SIMPLE DELICIOUS AND TANTALIZING! I have this silly thing for sweet things in food; like pineapple fried rice and salad prawns. Quirky I am.

The Sesame Chicken did not live up to the hype though.



Mum disliked it very much due to the fact it was fried with batter. My point of view; it tasted like popcorn. I don't think chicken should taste like popcorn.

Except for popcorn chicken-lah.



The bean curd was not good nor horrible. It was really salty, but at least it tastes more like bean curd than popcorn.

All in all, the place is okay, with great ambiance. The dishes are really special if you've never tried Vietnamese before, and they also serve noodles and more. Their flan dessert tastes really good too (ate it during my first visit, so no photos :p) Oh by the way, this place isn't Halal, since they do serve pork.

Verdict: B+

No comments: